Caribbean in the sun of Tintamarre, in
front of St-maarten, french west indies.
An 80 acre island that once had it's
own king, navy, and airline. True! "Situated to the East
of the Orleans quarter of St.Martin,
at a distance of approximately three quarters of a league,
it could be about two and a half leagues around: there is
still woodland on this island and the land is
very clean to take the air and also for cotton plants.
The coastline of this island is the most abundant in fish
in the surrounding area, and you can also
find there many masonry stones and stones out of which limestone
[lime?] can be made.
" Letter of October, 1764: Current state of the islands of
and Saint Barthelemy
signed by Auguste Descoudrelles Governor of French St Martin
from 1763 to 1785. Ile Tintamarre,
often known locally as "Flat Island", seemingly has had three
periods of at least transitory activity.
The first was in the 18th century when, after the French had
retrieved it from the English,
who had held it for some 40 years, it. had approximately 150
Then, like so much of the land on both the Dutch and French
sides, it came into the possession
of the van Romondt family. The final phase came in the middle
of the Twentieth century,
when Tintamarre heralded the development of air transportation
in this area,
which we take for granted today.
sources : http://www.orientbeach.com/tintamarrestory/